It is estimated that nearly 300,000 new automated gates are being installed every year, in a wide range of settings, including private residences, housing developments, commercial properties and schools / nurseries & education centres.
Combine this with the number of existing gates in the field and it is likely that there are currently in excess of 3 million gates in existence.
The owner of any gate has a duty of care to ensure that the gate is safe and regularly maintained – just as you would be required to maintain the safety of a car. Yet recent surveys have showed a staggering 90% of gates have been shown to be unsafe.
From a recent Gate Safe survey, of 100 gates surveyed only 1 was compliant. Of the 86 swing gates included in the survey, only 28% had photocells on both sides, only 10.4% had hinge protection and 17% did not have photocells on the outside. Of the 14 sliding gates surveyed, only 21% had leading pressure edges and 11% had drawing in protection.
We provide safety audits to identify areas of risk with your perimeter security equipment to ensure your site is not only secure, but safe.
As a GateSafe Premier installer, we take gate and barrier safety very seriously. All installations are completed in accordance with the Supply of Machinery (Safety) regulations 2008 (SMSR). We recommend maintenance is completed according to the Health and Safety requirements as detailed in The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) regulations 1992 and Health and Safety at Work act 1974. We also encourage our customers to adhere to BS EN12435:2017 which specifies that all safety devices should be inspected at least every 6 months. Our engineers conduct a risk assessment every time they attend site and we will report any findings that require attention to ensure that sites are kept safe as well as secure.
- Every time we attend we will complete a full safety risk assessment & audit on all sites
- We will issue a full report and risk assessment following the safety audit in line with the latest industry safety standards and legislation.
- We will discuss with you and explain any safety issues arising from the risk assessment / audit.
- We will work with you on an implementation plan.
- We will continually review and update you on changes to the legislation and standards.
- The safety of your business and employees is important to us today as it will be tomorrow, we will work with you to achieve this as we are Adaptive.
We appreciate that understanding if your gate or barrier complies with the current legislation and is ‘safe’ can be a complicated task.
However, this is a critical part of your business responsibility, ensuring that the perimeter security equipment on your sites not only meet the current legislation, but is also safe for all to use.
We offer ‘Gate Safety’ audits which will provide you with a full report and recommendations. Contact us today to book your audit.